With our training course, you will learn the requirements of descriptive metadata and how it is used with audiovisual assets in the UK. You will gain practical knowledge around all aspects of descriptive moving image metadata, obtaining the key skills to boost your professional development.
Introduction to Moving Image Metadata will introduce what metadata is and explain why archivists and cataloguers need it. You’ll be introduced to different schemas for moving image metadata and descriptive metadata, and learn to map metadata across different systems with practical exercises. We’ll highlight the value of ontology, and focus on ‘metadata in practice’, looking at pragmatic approaches to metadata and management systems.
Book now for your institution. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more and arrange a suitable date for the course.
We will bring this course to you! Please email: email@example.com to find out more
- Film and TV archivists and senior archivists
- Archivists and cataloguers in production companies
- University librarians, learning resources officers and IT managers responsible for moving image content
What attendees say about this course:
“The course was well structured and informative. The tutor was knowledgeable and engaging.” – Attendee, November 2017.
“Would recommend it. I liked the way it went beyond the theory and that we had the opportunity to put what we learned into practice.” – Attendee, June 2017.
About the presenter
Dr Joel Eaton, University of Plymouth, has over seven years experience delivering audiovisual digitisation, copyright, IP and metadata training. He has previously worked as a Technical Advisor for Jisc, supporting a range of digitisation projects in the public and commercial sectors, including at Birmingham City University Library and The National Library of Scotland. Joel currently works in information development and provides training and consultancy on audiovisual digitisation and preservation.
- What is metadata and why do we need it?
- The format of metadata
Community and user needs
- The importance of analysing user needs
- Using stakeholder needs to define project specifications
Metadata schemas for moving image resources
- An introduction to metadata schemas, Dublin Core and OAIS
- Mapping between schemas
Descriptive metadata in context
- Schemas for descriptive metadata and the wider context of moving image metadata.
Vocabularies and standardising terms
- Applying consistency through controlled vocabularies
- The value of ontologies
Metadata in practice
- Pragmatic approaches to metadata
- Managing levels of detail
- Management systems and metadata