In the same way as films, chapters and articles are made with a specific model of dissemination in mind, the production of video essays should also seek its dissemination. This should not limit itself to the classroom or personal social media account, but rather, aim to be distributed both in academic and non-academic contexts.
These are some of the journals for consideration of publication. It is worth consulting them for several reasons.
- 1. To be up-to-date with film and screen media debates.
- 2. To become familiar with emblematic creative researchers and video-makers.
- 3. To get inspired by the wide range of creative approaches and ways of structuring video essays.
- 4. To get inspired by the various ways of reflecting about the research process in the supporting statement.
- 5. To engage in collaborative, open access and creative research.
This is a selected list of journals and websites (organised in alphabetical order) where you can publish video essays. It includes journals exclusively dedicated to video essays as well as others that occasionally publish video essays in special issues. Please note this list was last updated in September 2020.
- The Audiovisual Essay in the REFRAME website:
- Audiovisualcy: An Online Forum for Videographic Film Studies:
- The Cine-Files: https://www.thecine-files.com
- desistfilm: https://desistfilm.com/category/videoessays/
- Frames Cinema Journal: http://framescinemajournal.com
- [in]Transition: http://mediacommons.org/intransition/
- MediArXiv: https://mediarxiv.com
- Movie: A Journal of Film Criticism: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/film/movie/
- MUBI Notebook The Video Essay: https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/tag/The%20Video%20Essay
- Screenworks: https://screenworks.org.uk
- Tecmerin. Journal of Audiovisual Essays: https://tecmerin.uc3m.es/en/journal/
- Transit: http://cinentransit.com/transit-2/
- The Video essay: https://thevideoessay.com/about/
Dissemination: Practitioners and Researchers Speak
Will DiGravio, Host of The Video Essay Podcast and editorial board member of Screenworks.